About Coastal Geologic Services
Coastal Geologic Services (CGS) is committed to responsible stewardship of the Salish Sea by providing innovative coastal science, design, and management to help protect the resources of the Salish Sea/Puget Sound. We are a small, independent consulting firm that is a leader in coastal restoration in the region. CGS has been in business with steady, controlled growth for over 28 years. We provide a full range of services for coastal sites and for a diverse client base including local, state, and federal government agencies, tribes, non-profits, private landowners, and associations. Focus areas include beach, bluff and estuary restoration and enhancement, gravel beach nourishment/soft shore protection/living shorelines, inlet processes, and climate change/SLR analysis, vulnerability, and adaptation.
Our office is located along a forested reach of Whatcom Creek in the vibrant downtown of Bellingham, WA, adjacent to an award-winning trail and park network, and within walking distance of Bellingham Bay. Bellingham boasts wonderful schools, an active and progressive community, access to the San Juan Islands and thousands of miles of marine shore, the Cascade Mountains, and many affordable cultural venues, restaurants, and breweries.
Coastal Engineer or Geologist – Coastal Restoration Design and Project Management
Updated December 30, 2021
Coastal Geologic Services (CGS) is seeking qualified professionals for mid-to senior-level Coastal Engineer/Engineering Geologist positions in our North Puget Sound (Bellingham, WA) office. CGS provides coastal engineering and geological analysis and design services in the Puget Sound region and beyond. We focus on coastal restoration and enhancement, erosion control including using engineering with natural approaches, and sea level rise resilience. CGS is a small, independent firm that provides significant opportunities for professional advancement.
Analyze conditions and design project elements for beach and estuarine systems focusing on coastal process restoration, nearshore habitat enhancement, erosion control, and sea level rise vulnerability and adaptation. Assist with beach nourishment design, coastal structure removal and modification, and water crossing upgrades. Conduct field measurements, model/analyze flooding, waves, sediment transport, and coastal evolution/morphodynamics of mixed sand-gravel beach and estuarine systems. Create and manage projects, working both independently and as a team member. Collaborate on and/or lead proposals and grant applications.
- Current Professional Engineer (PE) or Licensed Engineering Geologist (LEG/LG/PG) registration (Washington State or be able to obtain through reciprocity within 6 months of hire)
- B.S. in coastal, civil, or ocean engineering, geology, or related environmental science
- 5+ years of professional experience working on coastal engineering/restoration projects including consulting service
- 2+ years project management experience
- Ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations including strong technical writing and presentation skills for communication of complex engineering and scientific concepts
- Proficiency in coastal process analysis and design planning, and specifications development
- Experience with coastal flooding and sea level rise resilience and adaptation
- Ability to complete site investigation and field measurements at coastal sites
- Proficiency/understanding of coastal modeling such as waves and/or sediment transport modeling and coastal structure design
- Analytical problem-solving skills and proficiency in using data analysis packages (e.g., MATLAB, Python, or R) to automate data processing and analysis
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on an on-going basis without sponsorship
- Valid driver’s license
- Puget Sound region professional experience
- Engineering with nature, living shorelines, and habitat enhancement project experience
- M.S. or Ph.D. in coastal, civil, or ocean engineering, geology, oceanography, or related environmental science
- Familiarity with gravel and mixed gravel-sand beaches
- Proficiency with aerial and other coastal mapping, LiDAR data analysis
- 4+ years project management experience
This is a full-time position. The job can be remote working from home and/or in our Bellingham office. Occasional local fieldwork and meetings as they restart in the future will necessitate being located in the north Puget Sound region.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition to competitive compensation packages, benefits include:
- Health and dental insurance coverage
- 401k match
- Generous paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave
- Performance-based bonus program
- Relocation assistance
- Remote work option with flexibility
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and talk or hear. The employee is required to drive a car to collect field data. While in the field, the employee must be able to work safely at all times. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to traverse unstable, uneven surfaces and terrain unassisted. This may include navigating through brush, mud, rock, standing or flowing water, and up/down grades; this list is not all inclusive. The employee must also have the ability to carry equipment up to 30 pounds in and out of work site.
How to Apply
Please email detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. CGS will provide reasonable accommodation to all applicants and employees.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
CGS is committed to providing safe working conditions and has instituted measures aimed at keeping employees healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic in accordance with all CDC and Washington State guidelines. As such, successful applicants for this position must have received full vaccination or be willing to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, or have a valid waiver, by date of hire. Proof of vaccination is required. CGS supports a remote, hybrid, or in-office work arrangement with social distancing. We have established enhanced cleaning and other protocols and provide personal protective equipment to all employees while working in the office. Ensuring the well-being of our team members is a top priority.