About Coastal Geologic Services
Coastal Geologic Services (CGS) is committed to responsible stewardship of the Salish Sea by providing innovative coastal science, design, and management to help protect the resources of the Salish Sea/Puget Sound. We are a small, independent consulting firm that is a leader in coastal restoration in the region. CGS has been in business with steady, controlled growth for over 28 years. We provide a full range of services for coastal sites and for a diverse client base including local, state, and federal government agencies, tribes, non-profits, private landowners, and associations. Focus areas include beach, bluff and estuary restoration and enhancement, gravel beach nourishment/soft shore protection/living shorelines, inlet processes, and climate change/SLR analysis, vulnerability, and adaptation.
Our office is located along a forested reach of Whatcom Creek in the vibrant downtown of Bellingham, WA, adjacent to an award-winning trail and park network, and within walking distance of Bellingham Bay. Bellingham boasts wonderful schools, an active and progressive community, access to the San Juan Islands and thousands of miles of marine shore, the Cascade Mountains, and many affordable cultural venues, restaurants, and breweries.
Coastal Engineer – Coastal Design and Project Management Focus
Updated October 29, 2021
Coastal Geologic Services is accepting resumes from qualified professionals for a mid-level/upper level Coastal Engineer position in our North Puget Sound (Bellingham, WA) office. CGS provides coastal engineering and geological analysis and design services in the Puget Sound region and beyond. We focus on coastal restoration and enhancement, erosion control using traditional methods and engineering with nature approaches, and sea level rise resilience. CGS offers a wide range of consulting services to support clients in the government, tribal, nonprofit, commercial, and private sectors.
- Current Professional Engineer (PE) registration (Washington State or be able to obtain through reciprocity within six (6) months of hire)
- M.S. in coastal, civil, or ocean engineering, oceanography, or related environmental science
- 6+ years of professional experience working on coastal engineering projects including consulting services
- 2+ years project management experience
- Ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical reports
- Proficiency in coastal process analysis, coastal structure design, plan, and specifications development
- Proficiency in coastal modeling such as waves and sediment transport modeling
- Experience with coastal flooding and sea level rise resilience and adaptation
- Demonstrated ability to complete site investigation and field measurements at coastal sites
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in using data analysis packages (e.g., MATLAB, Python, R) to automate data processing and analysis
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills for communication of complex engineering and scientific concepts
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on an on-going basis without sponsorship
- Valid driver’s license
- Puget Sound region professional experience
- Beach nourishment, coastal restoration, living shorelines, and habitat enhancement project experience
- Familiarity with gravel and mixed gravel-sand beaches
- Proficiency with aerial and other coastal mapping, LiDAR data analysis
- PhD in engineering
- 4+ years project management experience
Analyze conditions and design project elements for beach and estuarine systems focusing on coastal process restoration, nearshore habitat enhancement, erosion control, and sea level rise vulnerability and adaptation. Assist with beach nourishment design, coastal structure removal and modification, and water crossing upgrades. Conduct field measurements, model flooding, waves, sediment transport, and coastal evolution/morphodynamics of mixed sand-gravel beach and estuarine systems. Create and manage project elements, working both independently and as a team member. Effectively manage some projects and client needs. Collaborate on and/or lead proposals and grant applications.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition to competitive compensation packages, benefits include:
- Health and dental insurance coverage
- 401k match
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave
- Performance-based bonus program
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm, with some flexibility. The job largely operates as a hybrid with staff working from home and in a professional office environment as conditions allow to ensure safety. Occasional fieldwork and travel may be necessary.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and talk or hear. The employee is required to drive a car to collect field data. While in the field, the employee must be able to work safely at all times. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to traverse unstable, uneven surfaces and terrain unassisted. This may include navigating through brush, mud, rock, standing or flowing water, and up/down grades; this list is not all inclusive. The employee must also have the ability to carry equipment up to 30 pounds in and out of work site.
How to Apply
Please email detailed resume, cover letter, certifications, and a minimum of three references. Cover letter should address how the candidate’s specific experience makes them well suited for coastal engineering work at a small, independent firm and how their long-term career goals align with this position. Please email completed materials to email@example.com by December 8, 2021. Position is open until filled.
CGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. CGS will provide reasonable accommodation to all applicants and employees.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols
CGS is committed to providing safe working conditions and has instituted measures aimed at keeping employees healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic in accordance with all CDC and Washington State guidelines. As such, COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of employment. CGS supports a hybrid work arrangement to support social distancing. We have established enhanced cleaning and sanitization protocols and provide personal protective equipment to all employees while working in the office including masks and hand sanitizer. Ensuring the well-being of our team members is a top priority.