Position Open: Geotechnical Engineer, Bluff Stability and Coastal Focus
August 16, 2019
Coastal Geologic Services (CGS) is currently looking to hire a full-time Civil/Geotechnical Engineer to the Engineering and Design Group at our Bellingham, WA office. The position will cover coastal bluff and beach system analysis, mapping, design, and implementation oversight. The position includes mid-level engineering and project management as a part of our small team that includes engineering and field geologists, senior coastal engineer, CAD drafter, senior geomorphologist, GIS analyst, environmental scientist, and mapping and administrative staff. The successful candidate will be working in conjunction with these staff on small multi-disciplinary teams to support projects through the application of engineering and geologic principles and techniques. The candidate needs to have strong communication skills and be able to work independently and with teams to apply critical thinking skills to solve technical issues and develop project-specific solutions.
Responsibilities of the role will include:
- Conducting field investigations involving bluffs, beaches, coastal structures, and other sites
- Performing engineering calculations of bluff stability, design of coastal structures and earthen structures, and preparing technical reports including field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, design reports, construction drawings, and specifications
- Processing and analyzing large datasets including LiDAR data, other topographic and bathymetric data, along with development features
- Providing field oversight, monitoring, testing for coastal and bluff restoration, parks, and other development and construction projects
- Assignments may include project travel within the Salish Sea region in rural and urban locations, but will generally be limited to no more than 5-15% of work time
- Support the Senior Coastal Engineer with other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited university
- 3+ years work experience in geotechnical engineering
- Project management experience
- Work experience with coastal projects, LiDAR data, and slope stability modeling
- EIT required, with qualifications and commitment to obtain registration as a Professional Engineer in Washington within 2 years
- Strong organizational, technical, written, and oral communication skills with attention to detail
Preferred Education and Experience
- Professional Engineer registration in Washington State
- S. or M.Eng. in Civil/Geotechnical, Coastal, or Ocean Engineering
- Puget Sound work experience
- Proficient in AutoCAD, MATLAB, ArcGIS, Python
- Knowledge and experience in coastal processes, coastal geomorphology, and coastal structural analysis
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm, with some flexibility. The job largely operates in a professional office environment working with computers. Occasional fieldwork and travel may be necessary. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, 401(k), and a comprehensive leave package.
About Coastal Geologic Services
CGS is committed to the responsible stewardship of the Salish Sea by providing innovative coastal science, design, and management to help protect the resources of the Salish Sea and Puget Sound. We are a small, independent consulting firm that is a leader in coastal restoration in the region. CGS has been in business with steady growth for over 26 years. We provide a full range of services for coastal sites at many scales, and for a diverse client base including local, state, and federal government agencies, tribes, non-profits, private landowners and associations. Focus areas include beach, bluff and estuary restoration and enhancement, gravel beach nourishment/soft shore protection, inlet processes, and climate change/sea level rise (SLR) analysis, vulnerability, and adaptation.
We own our modern office located along a forested reach of Whatcom Creek in the vibrant downtown of Bellingham, WA, adjacent to an award-winning trail and park network, and within walking distance of Bellingham Bay. Bellingham boasts wonderful schools, an active and progressive community, access to the San Juan Islands and thousands of miles of marine shore, the Cascade Mountains, and many affordable cultural venues, restaurants, and breweries.
How to Apply
Please email a detailed resume, cover letter, certifications, and a minimum of three references. The cover letter should address how the candidate’s specific experience makes them well-suited for a small, independent firm, and how their long-term career goals align with this position. Please email completed materials to email@example.com by September 20, 2019. Position is open until filled.
CGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. CGS will provide reasonable accommodation to all applicants and employees.