Position: Senior Coastal Engineer
Coastal Geologic Services is accepting resumes from qualified professionals for a Senior Coastal Engineer in our Bellingham, WA office.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or other related field
- 8+ years of professional experiencing working on coastal engineering projects
- Current registration as Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) or ability to obtain Washington PE License within first 6 months of employment
- 4+ years of project management experience with engineering design projects including design lead, scope, budget, and schedule development, and other tasks such as managing sub-consultants and junior staff
- Modeling experience in wave, gravel beach morphodynamics, and sediment transport
- Strong AutoCAD, Civil 3D design experience in project plan development and some knowledge of GIS
- Coastal process restoration and habitat enhancement project experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to conduct effective client and agency presentations and written technical report preparation
- Demonstrated ability to complete field reconnaissance, measurements, and construction oversight at beach and bluff sites potentially in cold weather, on steep slopes, and sometimes in small boats
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel between USA and Canada
- Master’s degree in engineering (civil, environmental, or geotechnical preferred)
- Puget Sound region professional experience
- Private sector experience
- Extensive experience working with gravel and mixed gravel-sand beaches
- Field data collection/monitoring experience with survey equipment
Design and implement projects for beach and estuarine systems focusing on coastal process restoration, habitat enhancement, beach nourishment, erosion control design, and public use utilizing beach nourishment, logs, coastal structure removal and modification, tide gate upgrades, and culverts. Conduct field reconnaissance, model waves, sediment transport, and coastal evolution/morphodynamics of gravel beach systems including inlet processes. Create and manage project budgets and effectively manage client needs. Identify and pursue project opportunities. Lead and/or collaborate on grants and proposals.
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm, with some flexibility. The job largely operates in a professional office environment. Occasional fieldwork and travel may be necessary.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, 401k, and comprehensive leave package.
About Coastal Geologic Services Inc.
CGS is a small, independent consulting firm that is a leader in coastal restoration within the Puget Sound region that has been in business with steady growth for over 24 years. We provide a full range of applied science, management, mapping, and design services for a diverse client base including local, state, and federal government agencies, tribes, private landowners, and the non-profit sector. We are expanding our engineering services. Current focus areas include coastal restoration and enhancement, gravel beach nourishment, inlet processes, and climate change/SLR analysis, vulnerability, and adaptation.
We own our modern office located along Whatcom Creek in the vibrant downtown of Bellingham, WA, adjacent to an award-winning trail and park network, and within walking distance of Bellingham Bay. Bellingham is a university town and boasts great schools, an active and progressive community, rich music and arts, access to the San Juan Islands and thousands of miles of marine shore, the Cascade Mountains, numerous affordable restaurants, Seattle and Vancouver BC, and 12 local breweries!
How to Apply
Please email detailed resume, cover letter, certifications, and a minimum of three references. Cover letter should address how your specific experience makes you well suited for a small, independent firm and your long-term career goals. Email materials to email@example.com. The application deadline is March 15, 2018. Applications prior to then are encouraged.
CGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. CGS will provide reasonable accommodation to all applicants and employees.